Sunday 10 February 2013

Cockpit Scuppers ~

I never realized how much rain can fall on a boat until I took apart the cockpit scuppers. Once the scuppers (drains) were removed and the drain holes were covered with masking tape, its amazing how much water will collect, or will drip into the interior of the boat.  Having just re-installed the diesel engine, this all-the-sudden became a huge concern since they were located directly over the engine room.

Luckily my good friend and dock neighbor Ryan donated a  new pair of scupper drains to LINDITA!


 
They were a totally different size and shape from the previous ones, however things like that don't really seem to matter anymore. I'll make them fit, somehow.  Another customized improvement is underway!


    First I used a Dremel to bevel the orifices to fit the new scupper drains. 
                                                                                               


This was the old cockpit drain system constructed of  pvc plastic pieces. I hit my head on these a few times before ripping them out.  Also they leaked.  



Test fitting the new drains, they are a little to long for the desired space. This area of the engine room is crucial head space for crawling over the engine and into a comfortable spot to work.  Needing as much room as possible, I hacksawed off enough of the threaded drain tube so I could still install a backing block and nut.

Also the engine room ceiling was painted.
 For this I used a West Marine topside paint of sea gloss white. It should wear well in the engine room.

 The new stainless steel drain scuppers, cut down and ready to go.



Once installed the cockpit takes on a whole new feel. I dumped several 5 gal buckets of water into the cockpit to test for leaks...



No drips, no leaks! The drains were finished off with a few select pieces of preformed radiator hose from the auto parts store to make the right curves and keep the whole works relatively simple, using as few parts as possible.  Now when I climb into the engine room I'll hopefully only bump my head on a rubber hose. 










                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment